Congratulations! You’ve got a new Jeep and now you’re ready to make it a one-of-a-kind custom ride. Aftermarket suspension, tires, wheels, bumpers, LED lights and more. With so many available upgrades and custom accessories, almost anything is possible.
We see hundreds of Jeeps every year, and enjoy guiding people as they take their ride through the transition from stock to stud. Most folks that we see, buy a new Jeep with the intention of using it as a full-time daily driver and part-time off-road warrior; for camping, hunting, fishing, organized off-roading etc. Sound familiar?
One of the first modifications on their “to do” list is: Raise the ride. We think of this as a hinge decision that will effect almost every other major upgrade/modification, including tires size, axle upgrades and more. One of the most common introductory Jeep lifts installed at Axleboy is the 2.5” Teraflex suspension lift.
The 2.5″ Teraflex Lift is a Good Place to Start
Like we mentioned, the 2.5” Teraflex suspension lift is an introductory lift. That being said, it offers a modest amount of additional clearance and is capable of tackling many off-road trails without losing the functionality you would expect from a daily driver. Here are just a few points to consider before deciding on a 2.5″ liftt:
- It provides enough lift to comfortably fit up to a 35” tire
- It gives plenty of clearance to tackle most light-medium rated trails
- Maintains low center of gravity
- Fewer parts to install help keep costs down
- Same/one-day installation
- Excellent ride quality
- No significant changes to drive line angles
Just A Little Taller With a 3” Lift
Every inch of clearance counts when you are taking the road less traveled…but what about every ½ inch? Before going for that additional ½ inch of clearance with a 3” lift consider this:
- Changes in drive line angles may require a new front drive shaft
- Additional parts involved in the lift amount to higher parts and labor costs
- Comfortably fits up to a 35” tire
- Allows for plenty of flex under the wheel well
- Install may take up to 2 days
Can You Take Me Higher?…Say 4 Inches or More?
Do you want to roll with the big dogs and go places that no stock Jeep would ever dream? Going bigger on both lift and tires may be the answer. With a minimum 4” lift:
- There is now enough space to fit 37” tires
- Serious consideration should be given to upgrading both front and rear axles
- We strongly recommend new front and rear drive shafts
- Bigger tires will necessitate re-gearing the differential ratios. Proper gearing will give back some of the power that is lost when increasing tire circumference.
- Significantly more parts (flex arms, brackets, exhaust spacer, etc) increases the overall cost of installation
- Proper installation may take 3-4 days (actual install time may vary)
- Be aware that your Jeep will have a higher center of gravity and you may not fit in the parking garage any more
- Your Jeep will be nearly unstoppable off-road and you’ll be the envy of everyone you work with
We are a fully stocked and qualified Jeep modification shop. In addition to providing access to a huge selection of lift kits, we also do tires, wheels, axles, differentials, bumpers, fenders, recovery gear, LED lights and more. Be sure to give us a call or stop by the shop before your next mod.